Monday, December 20

Fighting For Social Security

The Alliance for Retired Americans thinks that Florida Congressman Allen Boyd's endorsement of social security privatization is wildly irresponsible. I'd agree with that assessment, but how to back it up?

Social Security isn't the most interesting topic to anyone who isn't on it (amazing how much more fascinating it becomes when people retire), but Americans have grown up for a long time now to expect it to be there for them when the day comes. I remember the first time I got a Social Security statement outlining my expected benefits at some point in the distant future based on my payroll taxes to date. I thought, 'cool, I've got a pension.' A little bit extra to make sure my family would never end up footing the whole bill for my advanced old age, even if everything goes wrong between now and retirement. It was comforting.

That little bit of comfort, however, is about to be wiped away if the Republican leadership gets to add private accounts to the system. I also remember being glad after my California dotcom employer went belly-up that I'd put my savings in my savings account instead of following my friends onto one the ubiquitous e-trading services. Several of them ended up completely wiped out, most of them lost their proverbial shirts compared to their original investments, while I walked away with a savings account that saw me through a very lean couple of years. I attribute this not to savvy on my part, but to a healthy respect for my own ignorance.

I knew I didn't know enough about investing to get into the game, and at the time, I was too busy to spend enough time learning about it properly. In terms of outcome, I didn't end up wildly well off which I might have done if I were a very smart investor, but neither did I end up destitute which I might have done if I were the type of investor that the vast majority of people seem to be. For me, with my lack of stockmarket know-how, not being destitute is a reasonable outcome. Considering that the most likely outcome for retirees anywhere in the world without a social safety net is, in fact, destitution, the guarantee of a minimum standard that mostly keeps retirees warm, dry, and fed is a better outcome than the majority of people would be able to get on their own.

Or to sum up: Social Security is a tax we pay to keep our collective grandparents from starving in the streets.

But getting back to backing up support for Social Security, different arguments work better for different situations. I have the luxury of an easily persuadable audience here, but that isn't always the case when we go talk to people out in the Big Room. So to help me help you to make this argument, I yield the floor:

As to the importance of making our case, Digby explains how the parties developed their 'hard' and 'soft' images, and then outlines exactly how to fight for what you want when you're out of power. He then reminds us that people have been hearing that Republicans want to destroy Social Security for far longer than they've been hearing about any so-called crisis.

Nathan Newman explains that future wage increases would offset future benefit increases, particularly if they were accompanied by raising the $87K cutoff on the payroll tax. Speaking of which, remind people loudly and often that payroll tax only applies to income below that ceiling, while at the same time applying to incomes that fall below the minimum threshold for federal income tax.

Max Sawicky says that buying into the argument of permanent shortfall is a loser from the get go, why it doesn't make sense to borrow now to cover possible expenses 40 years from now, and how Clinton era congressional Democrats held the line against benefit cuts by leveraging Republicans' fear of standing for re-election against people who had opposed benefit cuts.

The DCCC blog seems to get it, pointing out an article on a stalwart longtime defender of Social Security, and that Democrats are starting to get with the message that there is no crisis. They also note that Democratic goodwill is running low for talks with the White House on Social security, but I have to wonder what exactly Bush has to do before elected Democrats realize that the goodwill in question is entirely unrequited?

Seeing the Forest on how sloppy journalism perpetuates the myth that Social Security is in crisis.

ThreeHegemons describes what privatizing their national pension plan did to Argentina. The NY Times' economist Paul Krugman elaborates further on where the money goes when you privatize, also going back to the Argentine example. From Krugman:

...Once you realize that privatization really means government borrowing to speculate on stocks, it doesn't sound too responsible, does it? But the details make it considerably worse.

First, financial markets would, correctly, treat the reality of huge deficits today as a much more important indicator of the government's fiscal health than the mere promise that government could save money by cutting benefits in the distant future.

After all, a government bond is a legally binding promise to pay, while a benefits formula that supposedly cuts costs 40 years from now is nothing more than a suggestion to future Congresses. Social Security rules aren't immutable: in the past, Congress has changed things like the retirement age and the tax treatment of benefits. If a privatization plan passed in 2005 called for steep benefit cuts in 2045, what are the odds that those cuts would really happen?

Second, a system of personal accounts, even though it would mainly be an indirect way for the government to speculate in the stock market, would pay huge brokerage fees. Of course, from Wall Street's point of view that's a benefit, not a cost. ...



Kevin Drum echoes Matt Yglesias in explaining how vitally important it is to make it clear that there is no Social Security crisis, something you probably didn't realize that you already know. President Bush, meanwhile, doesn't want to talk about it.

Matt's argument:

...I'm not sure the older liberals who run the show quite understand how overwhelmingly important it is to keep the "there is no crisis" message front and center in the Social Security debate. Most of the young people I know -- including myself until very recently -- have been taken in by a decades-long effort on behalf of privatizers into believing that Social Security is in "crisis," and that if we do nothing the system will "go bankrupt" before we retire, meaning that the system will somehow collapse and we won't get any benefits.

If you approach the issue from inside that frame, then no amount of cavailing about benefit cuts or "risky" stock market transactions is going to get you anywhere. A smaller benefits package and a stock portfolio that may or may not pay off looks like a really good deal compared to a bankrupt pension plan that gives you nothing. Once you understand that even if we do nothing whatsoever to fix Social Security and the Trustees' overly pessimistic predictions come true, the system will still have enough money to pay my generation more in real terms then current retirees get, everything looks different. Bush is offering us a guarantee of lower benefits and $2 trillion in debt to forestall the possibility that benefits will need to be lowered sometime in the 2040s. That's a terrible deal in a straightforward way. But only if you try and see the truth: There is no crisis. If you can't make people see that, everything else becomes pretty irrelevant.



Have you ever believed that Social Security was already in such a crisis that you'd never get anything from it anyway? I know I used to. Realizing that makes it easy to understand how important it is to counter this, though maybe you still need convincing that you aren't alone in having fallen prey to disinformation.

From the article above that the DCCC blog pointed to:

The result: Polls show that huge majorities of Americans lack confidence that Social Security will meet their needs in retirement. An often-cited 1994 survey found that more people between the ages of 18 and 34 believed in UFOs than believed Social Security would exist by the time they retired. ...



If you're feeling sufficiently motivated by now, contact Allen Boyd, and maybe explain to his staff why you wish he wouldn't go along with selling out our future retirement safety net. (D-FL) DC: (202) 225-5235, Tallahassee (850) 561-3979, Panama City: (850) 785-0812 (Thanks to Atrios for highlighting Boyd's role in whitewashing this.)

52 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a online home based business opportunity site. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... I was surfing for sterling savings blogs when I found your sterling savings blog. I think you'll enjoy this **free coupon** site.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, here is the greatest christian home based business opportunity of the 21st century. Come and check the videos about christian home based business opportunity and see why it is possible to make $4,000 a week ! Dave

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there,

Hey, you have a great blog here!Read it with great interest! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a stock market blog site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a nice web site here, it looks like you sacrificed some quality golf time building this. I just added you to my favorite's file and will be returning to see if there is anything new.

Like most people that post here I also have a making money in your underwear web site. If you can find the time (when you're not checking the fairways to ensure they are displaying a proper divot) come on over and see if your might give me your professional opinion on my web site. Good luck with your venture! Oh...don't forget to bring your left-handed clubs. ;-)

Cya at the top!
Al Fanucchi Jr
Founder of SIDEjob.com
------------------------------------
Get Paid Daily!
www.sidejob.com

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Join the 3 Marketeers Club today, its Absolutely FREE!!

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a pretty cool site about financial freedom reverse mortgage

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great! … Keep-up the good work!
Something of interest to all:
10 best home based business

3:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greatest Blog Post. Please visit this site on distance free long ontario
distance free long ontario

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice information

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both
reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

2:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good information

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both
reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloggin away, came across your blog. Quite unique.

daily devotionalhttp://biz4christians.com/1139daily devotional

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out bloggin, saw yours. Nice blog.make money from home,http://biz4christians.com/1139make money from home,

3:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Je me demande quelle information de california debt consolidation je dois savoir ?Best Wishes, Ronni california debt consolidation

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sono stato soprafato da tutti i altri luoghi del bad credit cash advance.Sincerely, Charlesetta bad credit cash advance

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ik houd van wat hebt gedaan u met uw plaats, en kan wachten niet om te zien wat anders omhoog komt.Salaam, Cleo advance fax loan no payday

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never had a hard time finding advance.com cash loan payday sites.Toodle-oo, Cristopher advance.com cash loan payday

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to have another source of overnight cash advance information.Aloha, Ellie overnight cash advance

1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many reputable debt management companies can help you deal with your debt problems. You can work with a credit counsellor to create your own plan to pay off bills.
If your site is of similar interest contact me and link sites.
Debt Resources Services.

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you struggle with bad credit, credit card debt, or are facing bankruptcy, our bankruptcy/dect counselling resources can help you understand your finances better and help you improve your financial standing. If your site is of simmilar interest contact me and link sites.
Debt Resources Services.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm just a retiree from Alaska; cruisin around the 'net for fun. And came
across your blog. You've got a good blog. Keep it up!

Regards,
Joe

debt consolidation delaware

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Searching through blogs is a lot different than trying to find information via a search engine. I feel like I have almosted wasted an entire day and then I finally found your post...thanks, Automobile Floor Mats

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting reading... Keep up the good work...

Regards,
Emini Futures Day Trader
day trade future

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good info. Thanks.

Regards,

Emini Russell 2000 Futures Daytrader
emini education

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog. Nice job you've done here.

Sincerely,
Stock Options Trader
option trading software

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is great, I always enjoy new ways to gather information. Keep up the great work. No better time than now to learn about equity home loan mortgage http://thehomemortgageguide.com Need Information on purchasing a home? equity home loan mortgage

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just searching blogs,and I found your site, Friend! I like it!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success.
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
credit equity home line lowest
It pretty much covers credit equity home line lowest related issues.
All the best!

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dank voor het hebben van een blog die dit omvat.Cheerio, Nikita quick payday advance loan

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Business Franchise, Breakthrough technology pours income from your home computer if you are seeking Business Franchise. You will create multiple steam of income. To find out more information go to http://homeincomeportal.net. Thank for the post.

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Money is good for nothing unless you know the value of it by experience...P.T. Barnum

A Penny Saved Is a Penny Earned... Ben Franklin..

I hope You enjoy these quotes and if you want to learn more go to mortgage loan

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great opportunity. Just push a button 4 times per day and make $1,000's per month within one year.

3:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder if I'll ever find my mate in life. Do you think it's possible. I know I could be talking to a lot of people out there, but I want some opinions here. Like I was out doing some research on dating and I clicked on this one web link that took me to a site about Uk mortgage information. I got derailed from my original topic at hand and then finally had to backtrack to figure out that I was still looking for something about dating so I could find my ideal mate. Dang, I get distracted.
Uk mortgage information

4:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You Can't Do It All.
Learning to delegate, there is not a single management skill more critical to your personal and professional success as an entrepreneur than learning to delegate, but delegating successfully is much more than simply handing out assignments.
Link to this site: stress management information
http://www.management-faq.info/

2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There, I was just blogging around and found your page!
Very cool,
I like finding all this variety.
If you are interested, go see my movies to download related site.
It isnt anything special but you might still find something of interest.

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger:)

We thank my brother, because if he did not post some comments on my web blog it would be empty.. We hope to have some success like U later on.. We love Ur web blog, and try to make mine cool as well!! :)

Regards,
start business online

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on residential mortgage I somehow ended up on your page. As your described site is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about residential mortgage, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, As part of some work I'm doing for a client, I need to talk to people who are interested in Geocaching and who often search the web for related information. The research is mostly based around keyword ('magellan gps' for example) selection. I've contacted people using magellan gps but I need to contact more. Can you suggest where else to look?
TIA

2:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, As part of some work I'm doing for a client, I need to talk to people who are interested in Geocaching and who often search the web for related information. The research is mostly based around keyword ('magellan gps' for example) selection. I've contacted people using magellan gps but I need to contact more. Can you suggest where else to look?
TIA

2:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a fan - brill stuff!!
top ranking web design

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

N asha,

I was looking at your blog post
about perl .

You can now place a link to
your website on our website for free. See:

http://www.thefreeadforum.com


We get over 18,000 visitors per day.
Many search under perl .

We have a special category for perl
in our search engine friendly directory.
Your listing will be spidered by the search
engines under perl .

We hope you find this to be a
good opportunity for some free
advertising.


Good luck,

John,

http://www.thefreeadforum.com
The Free Advertising Forum..

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

N asha,

I took a look at your post
regarding referral .

You are invited to place a link to
your blog on our website for free. See:

http://www.thefreeadforum.com


We get over 18,000 visitors per day.
Many are looking for referral
related products and services.

We have a specific category for referral .
Your listing will be spidered by the search
engines under referral . Our pages
are made to be search engine friendly.
We hope you take a moment to take
advantage of this free advertising.

Cheers,

John

http://www.thefreeadforum.com
The Free Advertising Forum.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

N asha,

I saw your post
regarding from home make money opportunity .

You are welcome to place a link to
your blog or website on my high
traffic website for free. See:

http://www.thefreeadforum.com


The Free Ad Forum is a forum where you may
post your permanent search engine friendly ads daily for
free. I hope you take advantage of this free advertising
opportunity, We have a special section just for from home make money opportunity .

Thank you,

John,

http://www.thefreeadforum.com
The Free Advertising Forum.

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Informative blog. I will continue to read. Please take the time to visit my blog about paid surveys

2:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.
.
.
.
.
.
Good blog - very interesting!! I liked it so much I'm going to share this hush hush advice with you. Ever wondered how your neighbours are driving around in their brand new BMW or Mercedes cars - with their kids dressed in all the latest named gear and foreign holidays aplenty?? Well they discovered the secret to the extra online income.

If you are looking for a free tool to attract loads of free links to your blog or website then congratulations I've got the solution for you - and it is FREE!!

My website specialises in uk web site development and to drive traffic to my website I was searching around the internet for absolutely ages looking for SEO tools and ffa submission sites to fire my site up the Google search engine - unfortunately these doing work and in fact had the opposite affect plunging my site down the rankings like it had a heavy weight attached!!, then I signed up for this free superb traffic generating tool - I now have loads of hits to my websites/blogs and my site is shooting back up the Google rankings quicker than ever before.

Consequently this saw my affiliate commissions shoot through the roof - meaning lots of extra money coming in for my family - I bought my first Mercedes car on the proceeds of my online campaign.
Sign up now - it's free.
. Sorry if this information is of no use to you but seeing as you have the anonymous feature enabled I thought I should share this free bit of essential promotional advice with you and would hope you would do the same for me and others who want to boost their online internet income.

I hope the tool will serve you equally as well as it has me - it's free!!

Best of luck, cheers for now, dave.
.
.
.
.
.
.

2:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good blog - very interesting!! Thought you might like some excellent advice on driving extra traffic to your website/blog - I'm into body shop and to drive traffic to my website I was searching around the internet for absolutely ages looking for SEO tools to fire my site up the Google search engine, then I signed up free for this superb traffic gereating tool - I now have loads of hits to my websites/blogs and my site is shooting up the Google rankings quicker than ever before.

Consequently this can see your affiliate commissions shoot through the roof - meaning lots of extra money coming in for you and your family. Sign up now - it's free.
. Sorry if this information is of no use to you but seeing as you have the anonymous feature enabled I thought I should share this free bit of essential promotional advice with you and would hope you would do the same for me.

I hope the tool will serve you equally as well as it has me!!

Best of luck, cheers for now, dave.

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

accounting finance job london

2:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.





Hi matey

I'm sure it was this blog I was reading a while back where someone was looking for an SEO tool for driving more traffic and get more hits for their website.

Anyway, I was speaking to a techi guy at work who gets to know all the latest stuff and he uses the free Link Referral Program.

His website on 436,797 affiliate handbook i in made one online other people selling stuff super year amongst other stuff has seen traffic explode since he started using the Link Referral Program - consequently his affiliate sales commissions and business sales went through the roof PLUS his website increased in google ranking which was an added bonus!!

If anyone else has any good ideas for driving more traffic to blogs/websites then please share with your online business blog buddies. Ta ;-)










.

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Business Opportunities

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a camera digital waterproof site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home